Friday, October 17, 2014

Suddenly: Things!

So, let's start this off with the big news for Unpronounceable Designs:  I just made my first sale on Etsy! 

Okay, so "big" should probably be in quotation marks.  It was just a pair of leg wraps, $15 + shipping, and because they were a "custom" color I didn't have fabric on hand for, they actually cost more than that to make.  BUT.

I MADE A SALE.  To a guy in California that hadn't heard of me in any non-internet capacity.  This is big, in its own tiny way.  Proof of concept that this "business" thing may actually work.

Anyways, as you probably noticed, life happened and I fell behind on the blog/business maintenance front.  Again.  Things are settling in to a more organized mode, though, so I should be able to establish a more regular posting schedule from here... or at least that's the plan. 

The big cause of my absence THIS time was... jobhunting.  Much as I'd love to think otherwise, starting a business doesn't pay for itself, especially when there are also student loans to deal with, and I can only sponge off of my fiancee so much.  Officially, I'm still looking for a possibly mythical Good Paying Part-Time Creative Job With Flexible Hours, but I accepted a seasonal-with-possible-option-to-stay minimum wage job at a fabric store, which so far I really enjoy, and I intend to work the employee discount for all it's worth.

Oh, and I'm also looking to apply to grad school, so that'll be all up in my scheduling with an unknown scope of effect, too.

SO.  Those are things.  Things that may create possible hitches in the plan to be a better blogger and businessperson.  But hopefully not.  The tighter schedule is making me prioritize stuff a lot more clearly (it's amazing what a difference you can make by changing the the choice from "which thing do I first?" to "I can only do one thing, which one is it?"), and the fiancee is pitching in a bit more with housework, so that's a major distraction out of the way.

My immediate goals are to follow up on a couple custom inquiries/orders, and to finish writing my shop policies and whatnot for the Etsy store... I was about halfway through writing them when the jobhunting disruption happened, and dealing with that first order (OMG I SOLD A THING!) forcefully reminded me that I have basically nothing posted about how I do business, ship stuff, etcetera.

But those are tomorrow goals.  Or maybe Tuesday goals, since I have day job work the next three days, and will probably spend the rest of today getting ready and trying to eke out a small fraction of pseudo-weekend relaxation.  Which I'm going to get to now.

Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment