Thursday, June 4, 2015

Packing Day

Alright, the bell's rung for this round.  I took some metaphorical blows to the head, in the form of various time-sucking distractions (wrangling Etsy orders, cleaning the living room after a catastrophic lightbulb failure, 5-hour sanity break to hang out in the cigar box guitar workshop and design a case for my new Evil ukulele), but I'm still standing.

The hardest blow was COMPLETELY underestimating how long it would take to install the elastic on the seersucker and gauze bloomers.  The plan had been to add elastic to those two runs on Tuesday afternoon, then full build on the mint run yesterday (and yes, I know that time management strategy makes no sense to start with, but I pick up a HUGE amount of speed between the second and third batch of a thing, because that's the point where I don't have to double-check everything anymore)...  I finished the elastic at 10pm last night.  I think part of the problem was that the method I used put a lot of strain on my (early-signs-of-carpal-tunnel-showing) wrists and hands, which hurt, which then made me work slowly because I was stopping every couple minutes to shake out cramps and fingertip tingles.

So, looks like I'll only be bringing two colors of bloomers for the first weekend.  I'll bring fabric and my ol' reliable Featherweight along, just in case a miracle happens, but as it stands, the mint run has been moved to the third-weekend restock (likely shoving the brown batch off the to-do list in the process).

But!  I'll still have the stretch seersucker and white gauze bloomers, sized Small through... a size I am arbitrarily calling XXL, because "standard" sizes are not at all standard and make no sense, but I think may fit folks who normally wear bigger than 2X.  It's sad that I won't have the third color available right away, but on the other hand, it may be nice to get a bit of feedback before I do any more, just in case there are changes I should make.  Silver linings, and all.

Anyways, I leave for a closing shift at the Day Job at 2pm, and if I'm very, very lucky, I'll have the car packed for Logjam by then, so I can leave straight from my parents' place in Madison tomorrow morning.  For your amusement and edification (and because I needed to write it down somewhere), my packing/to-do lists!

To Do Before I Leave
  • Water plants
  • Do laundry

To Pack
  • Inventory
  • My trusty sidekick, Manuel
  • Cash box
  • Invoice book
  • Tagging gun, etc.
  • Ribbon ladder & ribbons
  • Bodkin, FrayBlock, maybe a lighter?
  •  The Featherweight, needles, thread
  • Business cards & stand
  • Extra hangers
  • Shop curtains
  • Misc. tools
  • Masking tape
  • Pens
  • Suitcase 1: Day Job clothes
  • Suitcase 2: Garb & other event stuff
  • Rope & paracord
  • Hammock
  • Sleeping bag
  • Pillow
  • Snacks
  • Magic Binder Of Thinkyness
Now.  I've got my lists.  I've got my second cup of coffee in hand.  Time to get cracking!

No comments:

Post a Comment