Monday, January 13, 2014

When it rains, it pours...

So, dear readers, I had a plan.  I thought it was a good plan.

My plan was to putter throughout January.  You know - work steadily, but at a very leisurely pace, and on a whole bunch of things at once.  I would make a company logo (which I'm partway through - take a look at my profile picture!), get plates on my car so I can actually drive it, finish getting all my social media profiles networked & polished, file for a sales tax ID & trade name, and perform an epic clean on the house (so when I start treating sewing/design/blogging as a job, it's easy to maintain a relatively slob-free standard of living).

Last week (I want to say Tuesday), a friend contacted me about the premiere event of his new LARP venue towards the end of February, and would I like to design the makeup for the NPCs?  Oh, and how about setting up a booth to sell your garb and stuff?

...So much for my plan.  Because, of course, I said yes (well, officially the booth is still at a "maybe").  Why wouldn't I?  Talk about starting things off with a bang!

I could maybe follow through with my plan if I was JUST doing makeup, but that would probably be pushing it.  And the booth?  I don't have any inventory.  So I'm also embarking on a marathon of building pouches, bags, shirts, chemises, and hoods.  Big stuff will have to wait - maybe I'll find time to do some sort of posterboard with pictures of some of my commissioned pieces (wood grain contact paper and a fauxtoshop "oil painting" filter should be enough that it won't look totally out of place in a medieval fantasy game), or perhaps I could ask some past clients to let me display the pieces I've done for them...

I'm all sorts of excited, albeit a bit overwhelmed.  But I can do this.  It's really not that different from the stacks of projects I did in college.  If I can calm down and focus on one task at a time, decisively choosing only one or two tasks per day, it may not even be hard.  Keyword being "if."

More likely, I will accidentally multitask, scramble away at everything at the last minute like Wile E. Coyote running on air, and just barely slide in under the action-movie-automated-door of a deadline as a manic, slightly narcoleptic, disheveled homunculous, but with all my projects complete.  Like I usually do.

Oh, and I picked up another gambeson commission yesterday.  ::headdesk::

Now, if you'll excuse me, it's time for me to stop internet-shopping for makeup supplies, and start sewing some stuff.  Tally-ho!

1 comment: