Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Slight Case of Flounder

I am in the sort of mental state where that post title makes me imagine turning partway into a weird sideways fish, and I can't determine whether that mental image is hilarious or sad. 

I think I'm going to go with hilarious.

Anyways, right now the part of my brain that chooses which of many tasks I need to work on has ground to a halt, as it often does.  As usual, this is mainly due to an excess of choice and uncertainty regarding what to prioritize...  I get so conflicted about which task I should be focusing on that I become very easily distracted and often wind up aimlessly caroming around the internet (latest landing point: Ze Frank videos).

The latest round of indecision goes a little like this (in list form, because expressing my conflict and confusion in a stream-of-consciousness-type manner worked a little TOO well, and you would have had no clue what was happening around you after reading it): 

  • We're leaving for GenCon in two weeks, I should get stuff squared away for that... but I'm not sure what I'll need to bring other than the usual H.A.T.E. gear, and that'll only take like a day to get together (including wash & iron time).  Maybe I should wait until after the pre-con meeting on Sunday, then I'll know what I'll need?
  • So I should actually prep for the next Deeplight, because it's only a few days after GenCon, and I won't be able to get anything done in the time between the two.  There's a bunch of relatively easy new inventory items I want to crank out before the event, and I could really use a proper sign rather than a sheet of parchment paper...
  • But wait!  I have a couple commissions that I've been sitting on for months because I won't be able to deliver them until the Old World event in September, and I'll be ridden with guilt if I sew other things before I finish them...
  • But I really should paint the fiancee's LightStrike gear before GenCon, which takes a while, and what if it turns out I'll need to pack or build a bunch of other stuff I didn't even think of until the meeting?
Did you notice how item #4 was pretty much a different version of item #1?  Yeah, you see where this is going:  Absolutely nowhere.  Theme and variation in a Moebius strip of project-related anxiety that mostly just leaves me playing games on my phone while I try to reach a decision.  And this isn't even touching the around-the-house stuff I should also be doing...

I think I'm going to spend what remains of the afternoon unpacking & squaring away the last of the debris from the Elmholm premiere (which was great, by the way - no sales, but some good conversations, and I actually got to get out of the booth and play quite a bit, so I had a fabulous time), before something tries to mildew...  Hopefully with a couple household tasks out of the way, I'll be able to get some clarifty on the big projects.

P.S.:  Entirely different note:  This is the first post with an Amazon Associates link and/or since I set up my AdSense account (although the AdSense ads might not show up yet, since I'm still in the confirmation stage).  Any feedback?  It's not too busy or give-me-money-ish, is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment